Pages

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Daily Grain

This is my entry to the First Campaigner Challenge of the Writers’ Platform-Building Campaign.

The door swung open, in a blur of brown the virra bird flew through. It hid atop a decorative cabinet and listened.
“Root of the Healing Tree, amber, tooth from a black sea serpent and the book.” The bird could imagine the merchant rubbing his sweaty palms together, purring over the payment. “You’re all set for the summoning.”
“I won’t be doing the summoning.” Another voice, this one a woman’s, laughed. The virra peeked over the decoration, a glint caught its eye; a bloodstone set in a gold ring adorned the woman’s index finger. The bird followed the hand as it fell to the woman’s hip, fingers curling around a sheathed dagger. “I was sent at the Queen’s behest, a task of utmost importance.”
Quickly the virra scrambled backwards, shrinking into a tiny ball. It shrank further as the screams of the merchant sliced through the air. Silence fell; the bird stood still, time passed.
“Just another day’s work,” it heard the Queen’s assassin mumble as her footsteps receded.
The door swung shut, the virra waited for a moment. Then, spreading its wings, the bird flew out of a hole in the window, shouting:
“Knowledge for sale, knowledge for grain!”

17 comments:

  1. Hi Emilia! I'm a fellow campaigner, so nice to meet you! This is absolutely charming and I like the element of danger. With all that shouting, I wonder how long it will be before that virra ends up a meal on the queen's dinner table?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful little vignette : sly and intriguing. I'd love to know what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Emilia, just hopping by on the Campaign Trail to say hello. Very interesting! Makes me want to read more. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great development of the bird as a character!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all =)

    Virra's arent the smartest birds, they're greedy and have a good memory, but that's about it.
    They were originally created to be spies, but they have no loyalty, as a result they sell information to as many as possible.

    I'm planning on writing more about virras. They only have a small part in my story, but they're interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the ending. Nice job. Mine is #72

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a cute, adorable story! I like how you use the bird as a character.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a neat piece, Emilia!

    And your from Finland? Awesome! I just finished a novel that takes place in an alternate version of your neck of the woods. I've always wanted to go there. Some day.

    Glad I found your blog! Following. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that in such a small story, we get a complete sense of virra bird and who they are as a species. Plus we get the menace and danger of the queen's assassin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Emilia! What a fascinating story! I loved all the rich details - I really love when a story has details that whisk me into the story world. And the Virra bird is awesome - I've never heard of that bird and I love that - I love learning new thing when I'm reading a novel.

    I'm a fellow campaigner. I'm not in your groups, but I wanted the fun of getting to know more writers. It's so great to meet you!

    I also love Finland - I've never been there but I had a wonderful friend many years ago who was from Finland and an exchange student at my high school in Rexburg, Idaho, USA - back in 1983 or 84. I am heart broken that I lost track of her. Her name was Suza Ruponen. She's probably married now with a different last name. Please tell me you know her! Boy, would that be an amazing miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So the assassin is killing those who have found out about the knowledge the virra is spreading around? Interesting, I am suprised the bird knows better to stay back until she leaves. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Squeeee, I love this! Your fantasy creations are always so wonderful, and I love this virra bird. Also, I have a weakness for female assassins, and this one sounds particularly nasty. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emilia-

    I'm a judge for the first round of the challenge, and I wanted to let you know that you are moving on to stage two! There will be a semi-final (stage three) and a final (stage four).

    Congrats! And thank you for participating in the challenge.

    Thanks,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Brenda Sills I wish I say I know her, but no. I hope you find her though.

    Thank you for all the comments, they're a reason I publish these instead of hiding them in a folder in the depths of my computer :).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on moving forward! What a great piece you've written.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice little piece of flash fiction. I get the sense you could write a novel around this particular assassin. Too bad I can't get in on the challenge this time around. Maybe next time!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete