Pages

Friday, August 19, 2011

Friday Flash: The Hands of the Healer

Fain gingerly opened his eyes, he saw a pair of dark brown eyes and a brown face, framed by a tumble of black locks. His eyes wandered down to her lips.

I am dead or dying, one or the other, it makes no difference. His muscles ached and complained as he raised himself and kissed her soft lips. Her hands, rough and strong, pushed him back down.
“Rest now, court me later.” Her smile was teasing; he longed to even feel the brush of her lips against his, but fatigue claimed him. His dreams were filled with her.

“Shapeshifters can choke.” Her eyes watched intently as Fain drank the mixture of water and Healing Tree resin. “Drink slower. You are not going anywhere for a while.”
I don’t want to go anywhere, he thought; the sweet, syrupy liquid stuck to his throat and he started coughing. She patted him gently on the back and gave him a knowing look.
“I suppose you should know the name of your saviour. Alhena saw you wading through the snow all alone.” She cocked her head, dark eyes full of questions. “I’ll take you to her later, so you can thank her.”
“I will.” Fain smiled; he would have surely died if the dragon had not led members of the Ruby Scales to him. But wandering the woods and nearly starving to death was worth finding her.
“Alhena is not your typical dragon,” she chuckled, her hand pushing a stray hair off his face. “She’s a very mothering type. You’d do well to be groomed and well-fed before seeing her.”
Fain flattened some of his unruly hair, but she grabbed his hand and laid it down on the bed. She sat next to him and began combing his hair with her slender fingers. Her mouth was agonizingly close as she spoke, “She will nag the warriors to no end if you don’t seem well cared for.”
“I am well cared for! I’ve never felt better in my life.”
“You are still weak, yet you’ve never felt better?” Her nose nuzzled against his neck. “I wonder why that is.”
Fain felt his face flush red. He tried to change his colour back, but his emotions were in a tangle.
“I am Nuria of the Ruby Scales. My mother is Kartane of the lands beyond the Stormy Sea. My father flew with the dragons and came back with my mother.”
“I am Fain of the Leather Wings. Duro is my father, Taly my mother. Her mother—”
“I know. Veetra flew with the dragons.” Her hand touched his cheek lightly, turning his head to face hers. Red scales adorned the curves of her cheek bones. Fain drew back his hair, revealing black scales running down the nape of his neck. “We both have dragon seducers in our family.”  
He ran the tips of his fingers along the smooth scales on her cheek. They felt warm to the touch, warmer than her soft skin. They seemed to radiate the fire of the dragons. Nuria’s fingers caressed the black scales that adorned his neck. Her hand cupped the back of his head, drawing him closer. He froze for a moment, but her lips upon his quickly melted away any fear that resided in his mind.

The story continues: Alhena

8 comments:

  1. Very sensual, I love the last line.

    Welcome to the #fridayflash:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to #fridayflash.
    There is so much detail captured and suggested in this magical realm. The characters come across fully formed and real. Would love to hear more about them and their world.
    Adam B @revhappiness

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to see where this is going. There is great build up to something awesome. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you!
    I'm working on what happens when Alhena the Motherly dragon drop by her favorite shapeshifters. I hope to have it ready for next friday.

    Fain's a very integral character in my main story so you'll see more him when I publish it.
    Nuria's sadly only mentioned in my main story. She'd probably slay the evil god and all his minions if let her go rampant in my story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of dragon seducers and the hints of the rich world you've captured here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very imaginative and great feeling. It felt like an extract rather than a stand alone flash and I see you are continuing it next time which will be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Again, really amazing world and creatures. Love your shifters and how they relate to dragons--and am especially grateful to see Nuria here if she isn't in the main story much. Seems like a beautiful, powerful and fascinating character.
    Enjoy her bedside manner and Fain's obvious attraction to her contrasted with the formal--likely ingrained--introductions they make later.

    ReplyDelete