Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

DiceGames: The Queen of the Vrildrias

My last entry to Lady Antimony's DiceGames challenge. For this week, I rolled number four: “Make a deal with the Devil.” I know, it's late but here it is anyway :)

The thick stone walls failed to keep the warmth of the fireplace from fleeing, but they trapped the chanting and the screams inside the room. Neither would have been needed if her daughter had been able to summon the greater demons. The mingling smells of incense and sulphur assaulted Queen Yassa’s nose; lesser demons often tried to impress their summoners with smells, sounds and a frightful appearance, but they fooled no one.
“No luck, Luerra?” Yassa, Queen of the vrildrias, growled to her daughter. Luerra shook her head, clawed fingers clutching a black staff. The whelp couldn’t even perform magic without a tool.
“I have not found one suitable, mother.” Luerra’s maw opened into a wicked grin, baring rows of tiny sharp teeth. “They all want to tear their victim to pieces. An assassin could create a seemingly natural death.”
Yassa toyed with the idea for a moment; it would be easier. She already had assassins at her beckoning. “And when the mages find that he was poisoned? No, we need magic stronger than theirs, one of the greater demons.”
Luerra spat on to the rough stones, the vile sound echoing as she cursed: “Stupid humans and our stupid ancestors. Peace with the humans is not worth sharing power.”
“The King of Humans wants to decide what to do with the virra-birds spying on the meetings.” The vrildria Queen placed a hand on a statue of their god, claws clicking against the smooth surface. “Such a trivial matter. If I were the sole ruler the Kingdom would prosper. Instead we toil at these petty issues.”
“Queen of vrildrias and humans.” The flicker of excitement in Luerra’s eyes made her skin crawl. “If not in your time mother, maybe in mine…”
“Do not think of using my tricks on me, daughter.” Wrinkling her sharp snout, Yassa lifted her head. “I can smell betrayal.”
Can you smell opportunity as well?
Yassa froze; her daughter had betrayed her. She wasn’t as stupid as she’d seemed, but had managed to summon one of the greater demons and had commanded it to kill her. She would make such a good ruler.
No, no, no. I am not a demon, but more.
“Vixi.” Luerra breathed the name into the heavy air. Silence fell; both could feel the cold presence of the deity, the smell of death and decay lingering, mixing with the sulphur and incense.
“Oh, our deity speaks to us.” Yassa’s hand gently caressed the statue of the god of death, a winged snake arched into an S-shape. “Don’t we usually pray for 17 days, months or years?”
I have need of a loyal servant.
“I am no one’s servant.”
Forgive me. I am in need of someone loyal who can wield power on my behest.
“Better.” She watched as her daughter poked the statue with the black staff. Her thought returned to the source of the voice. “What can you offer me?”
A god can offer you anything.
“The King’s death would be most satisfactory.” She swiped the black staff away; her daughter recoiled, hissing and baring her teeth. A glance was enough to defuse the whelp’s anger.
He will die.
“I need to stay in power if I am to be of use.”
Yes. There will be demons running amok and you are the only one who can keep them out of the city.
“Queen Yassa, the only one between annihilation and survival.” Her musings were abruptly disrupted by a scoff. She turned to her daughter; a stupid grin graced her long face.
“Your magic is weaker than mine and everyone knows it.” Luerra leaned on her staff. She muttered a word; sparks shot out of from the tip of the staff. “I may need a staff for my spells, but you can’t wield a simple flash spell.”
“True.” Yassa scratched her throat thoughtfully. Her daughter was weak of will and could practise magic, a good pawn.
Call forth my minions 17 days after the King is dead. It is the beginning of my work. Once finished, you shall rule unchallenged.
Yassa smiled as she left her daughters chambers, reveries of her reign filling her with dark joy.

Alone now, Luerra listened as the god spoke, only to her.
Your mother’s reign will be short; do not cry when it is over. I shall need you then.
She’d always known her mother reign would not be long. The humans tolerated a vrildria queen; it was the only way for the two species to coexist peacefully. But as the sole ruler? No, there would be a revolt, demons at their doorstep or not.
“Thank you for answering my prayers,” she whispered, bowing her head. She would kill her mother herself if the deity asked for it.

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking I really like Vixi. As always your creatures and worlds captivate, I'm very curious about the vrildrias and perhaps because of Luerra's description am picturing creatures sort of like the skeksis from The Dark Crystal.
    Great layers of infernal plotting where knowing her own daughter intends to betray her isn't enough to keep Yassa from playing the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you David =)

    I love The Dark Crystal! Vrildrias are nasty like the skeksi, but smaller (around 1,2 metres) and they have wolfish snouts instead of a beak. Also, they're yellowish in color.

    Yassa's a bit deranged. Her daughter's just as bad, but saner, which makes her more dangerous.

    ReplyDelete