Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

GhoulsGalore: The Mouth

Fourth and last entry to Lady Antimony's GhoulsGalore challenge. Yes, it's late but here it is anyway. This week you got to choose your monster and I chose one of my own... The Mouth! Hope you like it.

I am The Mouth, that is all I need, all I am, the monster thought as it rose from its slumber. Tentacles flexed, snaking their way through the soft, moist earth of the swamp. Its huge maw opened wide, wider than the mouth of any creature on earth or sea. It had been centuries since the last time it had been awake.
From below a borborygmic sound made its way above the green waters. A bird shrieked and flew over the circle of curving teeth, where a black tongue twisted. The monster’s stomach rumbled again.
I hunger.
The Mouth strained its senses, but nothing worthy was near, only small insignificant creatures. The monster spread it tentacles further where the earth became harder and the roots of trees blocked the way.
At last it felt steps. Closer and closer they came, slow, tentative. The prey came closer, drawn by curiosity perhaps. Salivating, the Mouth waited for its prey, green drool dripping down its heaving sides. Just a little nearer...
The tentacle curled around an ankle and lifted the hapless being into the air. Screaming and squirming, the meal fought, but in vain. The Mouth lifted another tentacle, feeling the prey. It was shaped like a man.
Oohh, a human.
Without a second thought The Mouth dropped the man into its maw, where he was slowly dissolved by the stomach acid. When nothing else was left, The Mouth spat out the bones. Satisfied, the monster spread its tentacles and waited for the next prey to come.

5 comments:

  1. Just found your blog--enjoyed the post! from a work in progress?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, The Mouth is from a story I'm writing, but this is just something I wrote for the GhoulsGalore blog challenge. The story takes place in a sort of a post-apocalyptic fantasy world, and has a dark humor flavor to it. It's really not something I'd usually write, but I'm having fun writing it :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this, and would love to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was fun, and a very interesting choice of creature... Man, can't believe I missed reading all November.
    I'd be very curious to read your post-apocalyptic fantasy world if this is a sample from it. I take it the world isn't Verannia?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope we're not in Verannia.
    I have some the plot and cast of characters, but the world is incomplete. The Mouth is the most complete part of the story, partly because he mostly eats and sleeps waiting for prey.

    ReplyDelete