Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Character Anger Management

When I saw the prompt on Timony's blog, I immeadiately thought of Auburn, one of my characters :)


Auburn lifted her head from the table, mouth hanging slightly ajar as she stared at the odd man. So he was going to teach her how to resist the urge to threaten the other characters.
“Welcome to the Character Anger Management class of 2012. I’m Bert, your instructor. I’ve written many stories with placid characters and with my help you too can become calm and collected.”
It was her writer’s fault. She’d talked about how people made a resolution for every New Year. Hers could be to tone down the anger, since the other characters were afraid of her. No one had outright complained, though, likely because they were too scared to do that.
Auburn’s eyes wandered up and down his odd attire. “What the hell are you wearing? I’ve seen my writer in weird clothes, but…”
Bert frowned. “They’re called jeans. And where’d you learn the word ‘hell’? Aren’t you from a fantasy world?”
“My writer uses the word all the time. Oh, and ‘for the love of all that is good’ and ‘perkele’, although I don’t know what that means.” Her brow creased as she sought other words her writer used to describe her and other unruly characters. “Well, too many to list.”
“Uh, huh... Well, let’s get to know each other, shall we?” He nodded to a thing of muscle and horns. ”You can start.”
“You annoy me, I rip tongue out!” The ogre lifted a club above his head.
“If anyone annoys me, I will rip their tongue out, clean the window with it and insert it in their—” She fell quiet. Everyone stared at her. Even the ogre was giving her a wary glance. Didn’t they recognize creative threating when they heard it? “Why are you looking at me like that?”
The instructor’s mouth hung open, his pen dropped to the floor and rolled to the far end of the room. Silence fell again.
“Overkill.” The ogre muttered.
“Ahem, we’re trying to learn not to use such language.” He walked over to pick up the pen.
Auburn shrugged. “Well, I haven’t learned yet.”
“I see…” Bert gnawed the end of the pen. “Moving on, we’ll now discuss what pushes our buttons.”
“When people interrupt or try outdo me!” The ogre growled.
“Don’t blame others if you can’t come up with better threats than ‘rip’ or ‘tear’.” Auburn snorted as she brushed a curl of hair of her face. The corners of her mouth began to tug upwards, next to the ogre sat a rather handsome pale young man with dark hair. “Hello there.”
The man smiled revealing sharp fangs.
“Look at me when talking to me!” The ogre stood up, his club lifted high.
“No longing gazes here. I’m sure your writers have plans for you—” Bert’s word and possibly life was cut short by the ogre’s club.
“You interrupt me!”
“My writer was paying for this!” Auburn pulled her dress over her head as she changed. Coppery fur covered her body and fingers sharpened into claws as a shriek of fury escaped her maw.
She dodged the ogre’s clumsy swing easily. Her jump landed her atop the beast’s head, her claws scratched futilely the thick skin. The eyes would be vulnerable.
“Stop it!” She heard Bert shout, but it was too late. The rush of battle sang in her blood, nothing could stop her.


“Why is my character bound like Hannibal Lecter?” Emilia’s mouth gaped as Auburn was rolled in. The shapeshifter rolled her eyes. “I know she has a foul mouth, but a muzzle?”
“Your character started a fight with an ogre and almost killed the poor monster. Then she tried to… passionately kiss a vampire. When he tried to bite her, she knocked his teeth out. You’re lucky they have surgery for that nowadays and that the ogre lives,” he drew a deep breath,” otherwise you’d be in deep trouble, missy. Goodbye!”
“Sorry Auburn, I had a chat with my boyfriend and turns out you’re his favourite character.” She pushed her smudgy glasses back up her nose. “It got me thinking, maybe other people will like you too, and if you did tone down your temper you wouldn’t be you anymore.”
“Mmh.”
“I’ll let you go when we’re back in Verannia.” She gnawed her lower lip for a moment before adding, “I don’t want you attacking any characters on the way there.”
“Mmh!” Auburn’s eyes narrowed dangerously.
“And please don’t attack me when I release you?”
“Mmmh…”
“Thank you, Auburn.” Emilia grabbed the handles and began rolling her back into the story.

7 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love that you took your character out of their story--blended with other (I assume generic?) stories and forced the resolution on her. That's one of those ideas that's so cool I wish I'd thought of it... Ooo, the directions I could have gone forcing resolutions on my characters on the wrong side of the 4th wall...

    That was just amazing, and I do love Auburn. Makes me want to schedule play-dates with her and some of my characters--actually maybe some of the ladies of my Resolution Confusion post.

    Favorite part was definitely the vocab lesson though--hadn't heard of perkele before and now I totally want to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)

      The characters other than Auburn exist only in this story, though I have the urge to use the ogre somewhere.
      I take my characters out of their stories and place them in other worlds and situations that have little to do with the story they're in, just for the fun of it. Thought I'd do that here and I'm glad it worked :)

      Play-date... I think Auburn would like that (especially with your Resolution Confusion ladies), I'd love to see that and I think a lot of readers would like to read that.

      Delete
    2. Why don't we set up the play-date then? My e-mail is prominently displayed on my About page, linked at the top of my page, and I think this could be a fun back-burner project.

      I like taking my characters out of context too (especially injecting them in scenes historical or from other stories that they'd have a strong position or reaction to) but I don't know that I've ever actually written it out let alone shared it.

      Delete
  2. This is brilliant! I love that you know your character well enough to be able to take her out of her own world and put her into another - I usually use mine for one story and then discard them, poor things! Your dialogue is excellent too, and the situation is hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks =)

      I've known Auburn for a couple of years now and love her. The characters in short stories, especially the unnamed ones I usually discard. Some I grow fond of and use over and over again.

      Delete
  3. Love you! Love the story! Love Auburn !
    This was the first one from you I read, but not the last.
    I'm so going to do this with some of my characters ! it's going to be so much fun ! :D

    I'm just thinking to settle down and put up some of my stories for the first time in public place, maybe this will be the place ? :)

    “If anyone annoys me, I will rip their tongue out, clean the window with it and insert it in their—” Did I already say I love Auburn ?
    I love your imagination and writing style, so rich use of language, that is not your native one.

    I love you. Tell my love and *hugs* to all your family. Or Perkele will get you.

    Perkele oon kade. Nih, saatana. Oot pirun hyvä kirjoitaja <3 Helvetti. Perkele.
    (Just cursing her that she's a damn good writer who should burn in hell poked by little devils, because i'm so jealous. Perkele.)

    SATW for perkele 1 : http://satwcomic.com/computer-technician
    SATW for perkele x100 : http://satwcomic.com/a-bad-day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perkele tässä ihan punastuu (I'm blushing).

      I'm starting to feel that my fears that Auburn might not be liked were very, very wrong XD

      "I'm just thinking to settle down and put up some of my stories for the first time in public place, maybe this will be the place ? :)"

      If you mean guest post, sure! If you mean creating your own blog tell me when it's up and I'll follow in an instant.

      The little devils sound cute :)

      Delete