Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Nightgale Blog Challenge: Hemlock

Glitterlady has challenged us to write four stories on the subject of immortality. This is my first entry to the challenge.

When I look in the mirror I do not see my face, but a mask moulded by life and set upon my true visage. I wish the mirror was just playing a cruel joke on me, but I know it shows what others see. I lift a cloth to cover the mirror, but the peace it brings will only last for a moment.
The drawer slides open easily. Inside it in a brown bag is my escape: a phial, so small as to seem innocent. Poison is a woman’s choice; it preserves what’s left of beauty, while other means of death would maim it.
I’ll be found next to my mirror, dressed in my finest, my hair brushed, my makeup hiding the little time-carved marks on my skin. They will remember me as I am now, beautiful. Old age will never tarnish memories of me.
The stopper frees a sharp smell that wafts through the air. I lift the phial to my lips and swallow the foul liquid.
Immortality may come with a price, but I will gladly pay it in full.
I will never grow old.

8 comments:

  1. Very Queen of Snowwhite-like. Except she will take it out on herself instead of others. Youth is a big fear with mortality, great pick. Until next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful forever - it's such a sad story! I love the reference to poison being a woman's means to suicide, since the others would maim the beauty. Totally in character for her vanity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about a Miss Marple -movie where she'd said that poison is a woman's weapon. I thought it could go the other way.

      Delete
    2. Ooo! I remember that scene! Wow, your piece does remind me of that and I totally hadn't made the connection consciously. Just felt like it was a classy turn of phrase.

      Delete
  3. Agreed, both the identification of "Poison is a woman's choice" and the explanation behind it are easily the most powerful aspect of this piece for me.
    Ah, would probably be inappropriate to mention the episode of the Batman animated series this reminds me of.
    So I think instead I'll leave it at; great job presenting a character so attached to her own beauty she doesn't believe the properly aged face to even be her own, and is willing to die to preserve her beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks

      The idea came to me when was at mum's and my little brother was channel hopping. He stopped on a show where woman got botox treatment (though I'd be interested). I found it odd that women would use a poison that kills by paralysing the lungs as a means to beauty and then the idea came.

      Delete
  4. The lengths a woman will go to but then if her beauty is what defines her that's the best way to go.

    -Nellie

    ReplyDelete