Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

MarchMadness Blog Challenge 1

Timony Souler has a new blog challenge again. Take a look at the prompts on her blog. Didn't have much time to write, but I managed to scrape this up.

The cell door opened with a groan. Vret lifted his eyes from a rat to the man who entered: he bore the King’s insignia on his clothes and in his hands he held scroll and a phial.
“I was possessed by a demon.” Vret’s mouth moved slowly, the poison he’d been forced to drink sapping away his strength. “A greater one.”
The man shoved the scroll into the shapeshifter’s hands. “Verannian law dictates that a shapeshifter must prove they were not aiding the demon.”
“No one can.” He shook his head feebly. “Some would allow a demon to possess them for power, but not I.”
“Your fate is sealed, shapestealer.” The stopper of the phial came free with a pop. Steps echoed in the small cell.
“Please, no! Mercy—”
The king’s man wrenched the shapeshifter’s mouth open. A growl warned him before Vret’s teeth sunk into his hand.
“Thought I was weak and helpless?” Vret’s hands curled around the man’s throat. He fell limp, sliding onto the floor where the rat still stood.
Vret knelt down. He placed a finger beneath the rat’s snout and lifted her eyes to him. ”They would have killed me. Tell the others what you saw.”

3 comments:

  1. I think google reader let me know - I didn't know you posted this! What made me stop over is to tag you with a meme (the Lucky 7 one). If you'd like to participate, come on over to pick up the picture and the rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, nice tie-back to the rat at the end there. Very elegant package when you can come full circle in so small a word-count.
    Sorry took me so long to get over here to read your entries.

    Really feel like I'm starting to get to know Verannia decently well now, and that's very cool. Though I'm left wondering about Vret's connection to the demon. Don't get enough of him in this flash to judge whether he would or wouldn't aide a demon willingly. Intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you =)

      This one's my favourite and when I finished I felt there was more to his story, a lot more. I began writing Vret's story from when he met the demon. I've now got 3k and I'm close to this one.

      Delete